Sunday, January 24, 2010

Starrsville, GA

Starrsville, GA
[Newton County]
Population: unknown

Starrsville was settled in 1821 by the Starr and Epps families. By 1830, the farming community had a church and a general store followed by a post office in 1836 which was in operation until 1976. In the 1890s, the railroad arrived in Starrsville (in the above photo, the tracks are running just behind the photographer), and the area around the depot became known as New Starrsville. The old store building seen here was built with bricks made at the Anderson brick yard on the nearby Alcovy River.

Starrsville was named in honor of Silas H. Starr (November 7, 1782 - December 18, 1857), a popular state legislator. Silas H. Starr married Elizabeth Kain in 1802, and their daugther Mary's husband, George W. Leak operated the general store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment